The decision to take in a pet is a crucial one, and you want to make sure that you are fully committed to taking care of them before bringing them in, because a lot of time people get pets and then realize that they cannot handle them and end up giving them to a shelter. For the sake of this article, we will be focusing solely on cats and what you need to buy for them beforehand. It is important that you buy everything and be prepared before the cat gets home or else you will be stressed out afterwards.
- You need to buy cat food beforehand, and not just any cat food, you want to get the right kind. Kittens have a different dietary requirement than adult cats and need soft foods that are rich in protein and nutrients. Adult cats on the other hand, are usually used to eating dry food. You should find out about the cat’s preferences from their previous owners, shelter or store etc. so that you can give the cat what they are already used to.
- Your cat also needs designated food and water bowls as well. Your best option is to get them stainless steel bowls. Do not give them bowls which have lead in them, and do not give them plastic bowls either since plastic causes chin allergies on the cat.
- You need to get a scratching post or else your cat will start scratching other surfaces.
- A cat carrier is absolutely essential for any cat owner and you want to have a good and sturdy one.
- This is optional but cat leashes & harnesses are slowly becoming popular and a lot of people are now buying them and taking their cats out on walks with them.
- Grooming tools are necessary for bath time and so on.
- Small toys are also needed to keep the cat engaged, especially if you have a kitten.